Aside from looking out your good festive jumper and wearing two pairs of socks to bed, follow these tips and keep your home warm this Winter when the cold weather rears its ugly head, once again..
- Check the terms of your household insurance policies, and find out what cover you have for risks such as flood or storm damage, or for the costs of temporary accommodation if your home is not habitable. Consider taking out insurance if you don’t have any.
- Have a shovel and a supply of grit to keep any important pathways clear of snow or ice
- Know how to turn off your electricity supply at the mains.
- Know where your stop valve is and how to turn off your water.
- Follow Scottish Water’s advice on protecting your pipes.
- Make your home energy-efficient. Call the Scottish Government’s Home Energy Scotland Hotline on 0808 808 2282.
- If you need to evacuate your home for any reason (and if it’s safe and time permits) turn off the water and electricity, grab your emergency kit, and secure your premises.
- Think about what else is important for you and your family to get by during an emergency e.g. pet supplies, food supplies and formula/baby food.
- LP gas users can get advice on stocking up this winter from the UKLPG website.